Pages

Friday, August 9, 2019

Manga Review: Daytime Shooting Star, Volume 1, by Mika Yamamori


Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Publisher: Shojo Beat (VIZ Media)
Release Date: July 2019
Volumes: 12 (+Extra).
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 2.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Optimistic high schooler Suzume moves to Tokyo and finds her heart caught between two men!

After arriving in Tokyo to live with her uncle, Suzume collapses in a nearby park where she had once seen a shooting star during the day. A handsome stranger brings her to her new home and tells her they’ll meet again. Suzume starts her first day at her new high school sitting next to a boy who blushes furiously at her touch. And her homeroom teacher is none other than the handsome stranger!

Review:

I had no idea what this series was when I started it, and am surprised by how completely hooked I am already.
Suzume was living in a tiny country town, where nothing exciting happened, and everyone knew everyone. When suddenly her parents tell her they're moving out of country and have decided for her to live with her uncle in Tokyo. She's against this, but doesn't have much choice.
In Tokyo, she doesn't know anyone, barely knows her uncle, and doesn't know what to expect. She meets her new teacher without knowing it, somehow forces a friendship with a guy who has never really interacted with girls, and gets the popular girl's eyes set on her, too.
Teacher-student romances are usually hit-or-miss for me, and I'm pretty sure this one is a hit. I'm pretty sure I'm into it.
Then there's Mamura. He freaks out when girls touch him and is thus afraid of them. Suzume figures this out by accident, and thus forms a forceful friendship with him. It's a similar start for her potential friendship with Yuyuka, actually. Neither are conventional or really wanted, but Suzume doesn't let that bother her. I don't think romance is needed between Suzume and Mamura, as honestly they already have just a great friendship at this point.
Then there's Suzume's uncle, who's friends with her teacher. He's sweet and protective, and only gets upset when he discovers her bad grades. I like him a lot already, too.
I don't think I've appreciated a heroine so much in a while. Suzume is brash but smart, she doesn't let things bother her too much; I love her reactions, and her straight-face at first. She's so cool, but she also just wants friends.
It's unexpected already, but I can't wait for the next one.


A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, for an honest review. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment