Pages

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Manga Review: That Wolf-Boy is Mine!, Volume 1, by Yoko Nogiri

Rating (Out of 5): ~3-3.5
Publisher: Kodansha Comics
Release Date: August 2016
Volumes: 4.
Spoilers?: Very Light.
Volume: 2.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Komugi’s not sure what to expect when her family moves to the remote northern island of Hokkaido, and she starts at a new high school. But she certainly didn’t expect a boy to come up to her and say, “Gee…you smell good, somehow!” That boy is Yu Ogami, and Komugi finds herself strangely drawn to him. But when she sees him in an unguarded moment, she discovers he’s a werewolf! Now she has a choice to make: to keep his secret, or to ask for help and risk angering a wolf-boy?

Review:

I was hoping to like this series from the very beginning. And while I do think it will grow on me, I'm not entranced yet.
It's slow to start. We meet Komugi, and she's trying to keep a low profile after being bullied at her old school. And then she meets Yu, and he turns into a wolf in front of her. This leads her to meeting his other kin, some of whom are not quite so open to her presence.
While it's slow to really get a feel for the characters, and I'm not really attached to any of them, the story is actually a little rushed, or at least not developed very smoothly. I don't quite believe Komugi's change in character, it was too fast for me. I do like the cliffhanger, though, and the twist that it gives to the older style of shojo stories. I'm interested to see where that goes next.
I definitely see the Fruits Basket reference, of course, only they turn into animals when they want to. I'm not as attached so far as I would like to be, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment