Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2018

Manga Review: Children of the Whales, Volume 2, by Abi Umeda


Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Publisher: VIZ Signature (VIZ Media)
Release Date: January 2018
Volumes: 11+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 3.

Goodreads Synopsis:

In this post-apocalyptic fantasy, a sea of sand swallows everything but the past.

In an endless sea of sand drifts the Mud Whale, a floating island city of clay and magic. In its chambers a small community clings to survival, most dying young from the very powers that sustain them.


Review: 

I missed the first volume, so I went into this with no real idea what was happening. I'm still not sure how their powers work or who has them, though the marks that appear look really cool.
The artwork on the covers caught my attention when the series was announced, because the watercolors and designs are so pretty. Inside it's a little underwhelming in comparison, but it's still a pretty style.
This volume was mostly just okay for the first part, as all the massacring was happening. And then the council revealed their plans, and I was caught off guard. Their idea is rather awful, and I was even upset at the injustice of it all, even without a connection to the characters.
I'm unsure which characters I like at this point, if any, but I am really interested in what's happening to their island. The cliffhanger has me intrigued, and I want to see how they save it.


 A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, for an honest review. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment