Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Manga Review: Kiss Me at the Stroke of Midnight, Volume 2, by Rin Mikimoto


Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: Kodansha Comics
Release Date: November 2017
Volumes: 8+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 3.

Goodreads Synopsis:

A sardonic rom-com manga, Kiss Me at the Stroke of Midnight is perfect for fans of shojo like My Little Monster and Kare Kano.
Hinana prizes her reputation as a serious high school student, too focused on getting into college to pay attention to boys. But she's a secret fairytale romance freak, sneaking away from her studies to see A Roman Holiday and tucking pop idol magazines into her textbooks. When her celebrity crush comes to her school to film a TV episode, she has to pretend to be totally uninterested even as she desperately tries to get close to him. However, she's not the only one who's not what she appears... her dreamboat isn't just a pretty face either!

Review:

In the first volume, I was a little iffy, unsure if I really wanted to continue. After this volume, I'm still iffy, but it was more enjoyable going in, I think because I knew more of what to expect.
The humor and silly faces is not quite to my taste, but I do think it's growing on me a little.
Given that Kaede is famous, they're both getting some pressure for public appearances and what they should do. While Hinana is swayed to be wary and pull back, I do like that at first she stuck with her initial belief about Kaede. I think it showed she has pretty good instincts and can be strong in them. Kaede has also shown that he can be firm and hold his ground if he needs to. They've also both proven that they like each other, though, and that they don't want to back down from that. I like that they've both been honest about what they want with each other.
We got the start of a love triangle in this volume, and I liked how Kaede dealt with it. At the same time, we got hints of drama starting with Kaede's old band. Both of these are just starting to develop, though, so I'm not sure which will be more important.
While I'm a little unsure, I did enjoy this volume more. I think it's growing on me a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment