Pages

Monday, August 20, 2018

Manga Review: Pixie Pop: Gokkun Pucho, Volume 3, by Ema Toyama


Rating (Out of 5): ~2.5-3
Publisher: Tokyopop
Release Date: 2007
Volumes: 3.
Spoilers?: Light.
Buy it here: Amazon. Barnes and Noble.
Volume: 1. 2.

Goodreads Synopsis:

For Mayu, things are getting a Little fruity! Pineapple Juice turns her into an arrow-toting Cupid, and melon makes her the most sought after Girl in School! But she's still not happy! When a serious new love rival enters the picture, Mayu will have to choose between the perfect man and her long-time crush... who's leaving for America!

The juicy conclusion to Pixie Pop will be sure to leave you thirsty for more!

Review:

This is clearly an early series by Toyama, because her newer stuff is done so much better.
Firstly, the drama is okay. I don’t mind all the competing and rivals showing up. I didn’t particularly care for any of them, but that was okay.
My biggest problem was the romance. It’s given so much attention, and yet feels so underdeveloped. I didn’t feel the chemistry or attraction between any of the characters. I didn’t see why she was in love with him this entire time. And in the end, I really didn’t believe that he was returning her feelings. There wasn’t enough time given to develop their mutual romantic feelings, and so having the series end with a wedding just annoys me. It’s such a cliché for no reason.
That part does really annoy me, but I didn’t hate this series. It was okay—the friendships weren’t bad, the idea was okay, the art wasn’t bad. I’m just not impressed with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment