Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2019

Manga Review: Coyote, Volume 1, by Ranmaru Zariya


Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Publisher: SuBLime (VIZ Media)
Release Date: October 2018
Volumes: 2+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 2.

Goodreads Synopsis:

A forbidden romance between a werewolf and a human whose passion conceals a dark secret.

Coyote, a werewolf, goes through life hiding his true identity. But when a handsome human pianist catches him in heat, forbidden passion explodes.

Coyote avoids getting too involved with humans in order to conceal the fact that he’s a werewolf. But Marlene, a pianist at a bar he frequents, is interested in him and just won’t take no for an answer. When Coyote suddenly goes into heat for the first time, Marlene catches him while he’s unable to maintain his human form and offers up a tempting invitation. Coyote wants to resist Marlene, but can he?

Review:

The feel of this series is an old-fashioned, European type town. Where everyone is strict and closed-minded in their beliefs, and they will form a mob if needed. Which is a little hard on some of them, when there's a mafia of werewolves living there and planning things.
Coyote is hiding, and he tries not to get too close to people. Marleen is a pianist at a bar with his eye on Coyote, and he's also high in society and thus on the opposite side as Coyote. It's a bit of a Romeo and Juliet feel, actually.
There's a lot going on in this volume. It's dark and serious, though it does have some quite hot scenes mixed in. There is definitely some chemistry, at least.
I don't really think this series is for me. It's too serious, with too much of a tragedy feel, like you know nothing good is coming. It was hot at times and I did like the main couples growing relationship, and the artwork is nice, but I don't think the main plot line is for me. Which is too bad, cause I want to like it more.


A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, for an honest review. Thank you so, so much!

1 comment:

  1. For some reason, I really enjoy sad series, so I'm probably going to stick with this one. I definitely agree that the vibe was that the series will most likely end in tragedy, but that honestly just intrigues me more. I also really love the setting of the series, and I don't see this kind of setting often in BL series, so that's another plus for me. If you're looking for a less serious series, a new BL series just started recently called Penthouse XXX. It caught my eye because one of the main characters is a contract killer that has to keep his job hidden from his new roommate. It definitely seems pretty interesting so far, so I think it's worth checking out!

    ReplyDelete