Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Manga Review: King of the Lamp by Takako Shigematsu



Rating (Out of 5): ~2.5
Publisher: Go! Comi
Volumes: 1/One-shot
Spoilers?: Some.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Be careful what you wish for Long ago, the king of a far-away land made too many enemies by expanding his massive harem. Punished and sealed away in the form of a genie, the lecherous former-king can only end his curse by helping 1,000 girls find love

Available on Amazon.

Review:

As I’ve stated before, I always hope to really enjoy these types of books. I’m always looking for one-shots, and especially for smutty ones, and always if it's from a company that I like, which I am a fan of Go! Comi, and was upset when they closed (particularly since there was no warning, they just kind of disappeared [as far as I know]). This one I wasn’t aware was smutty until I got it, nor was I aware that I had read some of the author's other series (one and two, both of which were much better than this), but I had been wanting to find it. And, after reading it, I’m a little disappointed.
Firstly, I had thought there was going to be a love story with the genie, but there wasn’t. Why wasn’t there? Instead, he got to kiss and maybe grope the girls he was working for, and I don’t see why they all let him. They’re supposed to be devoted to the guy they love, and yet they’ll make-out with the genie? That bothered me, but whatever.
My main problem with this book is how the romance was portrayed. Every time, the girl went after the guy, they got a genie to help them get his affection in some shallow or dumb or cowardly way, and there was always a scene where the guy that the girl ‘loved’ got violent or angry and pushed her around. That part annoyed me every time; it was always for some stupid reason, but the guy would get upset about something and push her down, force himself on her, and she just took it, usually weakly exclaiming 'no' or something similar. Usually it was interrupted in some way so the girl could explain to him how she felt and what had happened to calm him down, but the girl never got angry or fought back. That’s… wrong. Now, I don't know about any one else (although I don't think you should think differently), but if some guy tried forcing himself on me, whether I liked the guy or not, I would not want anything to do with him, ever again. So, to me, that’s the wrong way to react to that sort of situation.
There was also one scene from one of the stories, the first one, Ryoko’s Situation, where the girl confesses to him and he asks why he should go out with her, and she tells him because she’s more experienced and can teach him a few things. Aside from the fact that this is a lie, and lying about that it dumb, I can’t like the guy because of the fact that he asked “What’s in it for me?”, and yet she’s for some reason in love with him and trying to act more experienced. And then at the end he says that he’s in love with her and always has been; well, then, I don’t care if he was nervous, that was an asshole thing to say and he shouldn’t have said it.
Now, saying that, there were a couple of stories that I did actually like. The concept of Mayu’s Situation was interesting, even if the way she went about it, asking to be turned into a little kid to get closer to him, was dumb. Hinata’s Situation, where the boy is temporarily blind, was alright. I didn’t like how the girl pretended to be her sister, and the ending seemed cliché and/or rushed, but their relationship and their getting close wasn't too bad.
I did quite like I’ll Kill You With A Kiss; it was interesting, a little different, and I liked the characters and what happened. That one was probably my favorite, even if the girl was a bit dumb at times. The last one, Chicken That Flies in the Sky, is obviously a much earlier work for the artist, and there wasn’t much to it, but it was kind of cute.
The smut was pretty good, even if it was at times rushed, and I didn’t like the forceful parts of it.
This book was not horrible, but it was not really even close to being one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment