Pages

Monday, January 19, 2015

Manga Review: My Neighbor Seki, Volume 1, by Takuma Morishige



Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Publisher: Vertical Comics
Release Date: January 13, 2015
Volumes: 6+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 2.

RightStuf Synopsis:


Toshinari Seki takes goofing off to new heights. Every day, on or around his school desk, he masterfully creates his own little worlds of wonder, often hidden to most of his classmates. Unfortunately for Rumi Yokoi, his neighbor at the back of their homeroom, his many games, dioramas, and projects are often way too interesting to ignore, even when they are hurting her grades.
Story and art by Takuma Morishige.


Review:

I’m so glad I picked this up, as I almost didn’t. But it was a good price, and it sounded cute. And now I’m definitely on board.
This series consists of short chapters, where Yokoi tries to study and pay attention in class, but consistently gets distracted by her classmate Seki, who is goofing off in extreme measures at his desk next to her. Seki makes a game of chess into a tyranny play, and Yokoi gets very invested. He brings in cats. He makes a thousand cranes, only to have an origami frog eat them. He makes a crochet cactus, only to take it apart when Yokoi falls for it. There are misplaced feelings, and looks of hate exchanged.
This volume was adorable. The way Yokoi gets so invested, how they both make this huge story of what he’s making, without a single word exchanged, is lovely. And then when one thing gets messed up, and one of them glares at the other.
I did have a hard time figuring out what grade they’re in. The way they act, and the things they do, make me think they’re in middle school, maybe, but then Yokoi will be drawn with large breasts, and that makes me think they’re older. The two things don't seem to fit together all that well. I don’t know if it says and I missed it (possible), but it’s bothering me.
Still, this was a fantastic little volume. It was very cute and very funny, and I will definitely be picking up the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment