Pages

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Manga Review: Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma, Volume 7, by Yuto Tsukuda, Shun Saeki, and Yuki Morisaki



Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Publisher: Shonen Jump Advanced (VIZ Media)
Release Date: August 2015
Volumes: 14+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 6. 8.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Soma Yukihira’s old man runs a small family restaurant in the less savory end of town. Aiming to one day surpass his father’s culinary prowess, Soma hones his skills day in and day out until one day, out of the blue, his father decides to enroll Soma in a classy culinary school! Can Soma really cut it in a place that prides itself on a 10 percent graduation rate? And can he convince the beautiful, domineering heiress of the school that he belongs there at all?!

The preliminary round of the Fall Classic begins! All of the contestants do their utmost to showcase their skills to the acclaimed judges, with the favored students presenting the most exquisite of curry dishes! Only the top eight finalists will qualify to enter the main event. Who will make the cut?!

Review:

I have yet to read any of the previous books in this series, but it’s been on my list. I’ve heard good things about it, including from a friend, but the opening of the orgasm faces turned me away at first. I’m planning to read more of it, though, and catch up with the beginning of the series.
Even though I know next to nothing about the characters from this volume, I definitely know that this is a food manga. This volume was like watching a long food network show, only with even more food details and tasting, if that’s possible.
All of the characters, in two separate classes, are in the midst of a food competition, with the main ingredient being curry. The judges are extremely strict, but with such great chefs in this class, they quickly blow up the ratings with their amazing food.
Some of the details on all the food was perhaps a bit much. But maybe that’s because it encompasses the entire volume, and I’m just jumping into it. I did like the mix of characters, though, all with their own cooking styles. The way that the judges eat the food, too, describing it and food-gasming over it, is also a bit over the top. But I can tell that’s purposeful. The imagination these people have when tasting the food was kind of incredible and humorous.
I’m intrigued by the brothers, and I like Megumi already. I don’t quite understand what the hierarchy involving Erina is all about. I am intrigued to meet Soma, though, since he’s the main character and there was very little of him in this volume.
There was possibly too much food in this volume for my starting place, but I’m looking forward to starting from the beginning and fully meeting each character.


A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, and Erik Jansen from MediaLab PR. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment