Pages

Sunday, November 1, 2015

Manga Review: Sherlock Bones, Volume 3, by Yuma Ando and Yuki Sato



Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Publisher: Kodansha Comics
Release Date: January 2014
Volumes: 7
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 2. 4.

Goodreads Synopsis:

MURDER ON THE GREEN At Takeru's first game at a real golf course, he has the fortune of meeting Hanabusa, a pro golfer who just won the Japan Masters. He agrees to play a round with Takeru and his father. Little do they know he is there for more than a game of golf.

Review:

I’ve been slowly trying to collect this series, but I must say that my attention is waning.
There were two cases to solve in this volume, with the start of a third. One about a golf-player who kills a competitor, and another about a teacher who kills one of her students. Then they start one about two students running for president, only for the guy to make a slanderous poster about his female competitor.
The characters are all right. Takeru is okay as a hero, but Sherdog is definitely a bit more gullible, or maybe just written to be a little dumber, than I think he should be. I like Miki, or at least I like the possible romance with Miki. The artwork is good, and I like the way they draw the villains, the murderous looks they give are a nice contrast to the rest.
My biggest problem is the actual mysteries and detective work. The stories are okay, but a lot of the time they’re written rather cheesy, maybe because Sherlock is a dog. And mostly, the way that Takeru interrogates the suspects—for one, he doesn’t really have a leg to stand on, being a high school kid, but for another, every point he brings up to make them slip-up just seems like he’s pulling at straws. Most of his points are so unnecessary, with clear excuses to be made for them. It made it hard to believe, especially with how fast the suspect gives in. Plus, they aren’t very intense or exciting.
I really want to like this series, but I’m not sure if I do at this point. I think I’d rather be reading Case Closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment