Pages

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Manga Review: Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma, Volume 9, by Yuto Tsukuda, Shun Saeki, and Yuki Morisaki



Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Publisher: Shonen Jump Advanced (VIZ Media)
Release Date: December 1, 2015
Volumes: 16+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 7. 10.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Soma Yukihira’s old man runs a small family restaurant in the less savory end of town. Aiming to one day surpass his father’s culinary prowess, Soma hones his skills day in and day out until one day, out of the blue, his father decides to enroll Soma in a classy culinary school! Can Soma really cut it in a place that prides itself on a 10 percent graduation rate? And can he convince the beautiful, domineering heiress of the school that he belongs there at all?!

The Fall Classic finals have begun, with the theme of the first round being bento boxes. It’s a battle of the egos as Soma clashes with Alice Nakiri. Her bento gets rave reviews from the strict judges, but Soma invents a boxed lunch unlike one anyone’s ever seen! Then, no sooner does the first round end than the second begins!

Review:

I skipped volume 8, but thankfully the battle from volume 7 is still ongoing. And encompasses this entire book, going onto the next one.
I do find the characters in this series fun, and enjoy getting to know them. Megumi is my favorite, I think. I have a special fondness for Hayama and Jun’s relationship. Of course, I’m also rooting for Soma, our lead.
Some people get disqualified, some people move on, they all show amazing genius with food, surprising everyone. It’s enjoyable to watch, and I’m glad I got to see how Megumi’s part in the competition ended. But there’s just too much food for me. The food is over-explained, and it gets boring fast. Maybe I just don't care about food enough. There were less orgasm/stripping-from-food faces, though, since most of the people eating were old men. (Don't get me wrong, though, there were some ecchi moments.)
I might continue the series at some point, but it’s probably not one I’ll be following closely.


A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, for an honest review. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment