Pages

Friday, April 20, 2018

Manga Review: Kiss Me at the Stroke of Midnight, Volume 1, by Rin Mikimoto


Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Publisher: Kodansha Comics
Release Date: September 2017
Volumes: 7+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 2.

Goodreads Synopsis:

A sardonic rom-com manga, Kiss Me at the Stroke of Midnight is perfect for fans of shojo like My Little Monster and Kare Kano.
Hinana prizes her reputation as a serious high school student, too focused on getting into college to pay attention to boys. But she's a secret fairytale romance freak, sneaking away from her studies to see A Roman Holiday and tucking pop idol magazines into her textbooks. When her celebrity crush comes to her school to film a TV episode, she has to pretend to be totally uninterested even as she desperately tries to get close to him. However, she's not the only one who's not what she appears... her dreamboat isn't just a pretty face either!

Review:

I don't know how I feel about this series.
One day, while Kaede is filming at Hinana's school, she accidentally sees a side of him that no one else has seen. It turns out that Kaede has a panty fetish. After discovering this, they end up bumping into each other a few more times. And Kaede equally discovers that Hinana is secretly a romantic, something she hides from her friends/classmates.
There's some drama regarding some borrowed shoes, and Kaede's manager. The humor is dramatic and exaggerated, and the humorous reactions are a bit annoying. I'm iffy on whether I like that or not. But at the same time, I do appreciate that they don't push off their attraction, and that they decide to try dating, even given their differences and him being famous.
I liked parts, I was iffy on others. I'm a little intrigued by the ending. And I am intrigued by the premise. I think I'm going to give it a few more tries, see if it grows on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment