Pages

Monday, July 6, 2020

Manga Review: Black Lagoon, Volume 11, by Rei Hiroe


Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Publisher: VIZ Signature (VIZ Media)
Release Date: January 2020
Volumes: 11+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 10.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Four hardcore heroes. One high-speed torpedo boat. Ten thousand bullets!

Lock n' load with the baddest group of mercenaries ever to hit the high seas of Southeast Asia! Aboard their World War II torpedo boat, the Black Lagoon, Dutch the Boss, Benny the Mechanic, Revy Two Hand, and Rock, the salaryman from Japan, deliver anything, anywhere. In the dangerous underworld of the Russian Mafia, Chinese triads, Colombian drug cartels, crazed assassins, and ruthless mercenaries, it's hard to know who to trust. But if you've got a delivery to make, and you don't mind a little property damage along the way, you can count on the crew of the Black Lagoon!

Disavowed by the Chinese government and now hunted as a traitor, Feng Yifei has turned to Rock and Revy for help. While dodging the PRC’s four hired guns from one side of Roanapur to the other, Feng presses Rock to make an important decision. Things get even more complicated when Eda shows an interest in the situation, and if she’s involved, it means the CIA isn’t far behind…

Review:

Having not read or watched any of this series, I wasn't quite sure what I was starting. It's more Cowboy Bebop than I had expected.
Feng and Rock are attempting to save some hard drive and de-encrypt some kind of information, and since Feng has a price on her head, there's a lot of shooting happening because of it. That's fine with Revy, who's all for having a gun fight, up until she gets arrested.
There's a lot of shooting up in this volume, and a lot more deaths than I expected. I didn't realize this was such a bloody series. There's also quite a bit of politics, which I was surprised by, and found interesting, actually.
I didn't mind some of the characters, and even find the idea of the story interesting, but I don't think I'd be all that interested this far in depth into the political matters. I didn't mind Revy's character. I think that Eda might have been the most interesting of the characters to me, honestly, and we only saw her briefly a couple of times. But I liked her. I can get behind some badass females.
I don't think this is a series I'd really search out, so I'm not sure if I'll be watching the anime any time soon, but I didn't mind this.


A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, for an honest review. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment