Pages

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Manga Review: Library Wars: Love & War, Volume 4, by Kiiro Yumi and Hiro Arikawa



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5-4
Publisher: VIZ Media (Shojo Beat)
Publish Date: 2011
Volumes: 12+
Spoilers?: Yea.

Goodreads Synopsis:

In the near future, the federal government creates a committee to rid society of books it deems unsuitable. The libraries vow to protect their collections, and with the help of local governments, form a military group to defend themselves--the Library Forces!

Iku and Commander Inamine are abducted by Bakushu-kai terrorists, who demand sensitive material from the library's protected collection in return for the hostages! Dojo is worried about Iku, his problem student with limited field experience. But what Iku lacks in training she more than makes up for in gumption, and she is not going to let library material go without a fight!

Review:

I kind of love this series. I was really not expecting this series to be so good, but it is. The humor is perfect for me, the relationships and characters are great. It’s just such a pleasant surprise. I don’t know how long it’ll take me to catch up, but I’m definitely working on it.
This volume continues where the last one ended, with Iku and the Commander being kidnapped. I’m not going to spoil what happens, but it was handled really well. I really liked how Iku reacted, and knew what she was supposed to do. It was nice seeing the Commander handling things, too. I like him. Then there’re a couple sweet moments with Dojo, and the team has a celebration for Iku that’s sweet and funny.
Oh, Dojo’s thoughts on the whole thing was nice, as well. And it was revealed that he knows that Iku’s “Prince” is him. We get a flashback of both meetings (the original rescue, and again for her test to enter the school) from Dojo’s POV, and they’re sweet and rather humorous, including some teasing from Komaki and Genda (I love them, and their relationship with each other).
After that, Iku’s parents arrive. Iku’s worried, and nervous, and her friends are helping her hide what her actual job is from them. There are some sweet moments between Iku and her parents, and one between Dojo and Iku’s father; it was really interesting to meet them, and it seems like they genuinely love their daughter, so I’m interested to find out how they react when they find out the truth. There are a couple of close calls, and some very funny moments, but nothing big happens.
Also, Komaki ends up avoiding them at all costs, as it turns out that he won’t lie. He might be cryptic sometimes, and he teases all the time, but he won’t lie and he doesn’t want to give away Iku’s secret. We get a small chapter from his point of view, of his troubles trying not to run into them, that’s rather entertaining. And I swear, I just end up liking him more the more I see of him. It’s getting ridiculous at this point.
At the end of the volume, there’s a bonus chapter where Iku finds a lost puppy, which ends with a really cute moment between Iku and Dojo (and Dojo and the dog). Then another one where Iku and Dojo convince themselves out of the meaning behind one of their hugs, which Komaki just finds hilarious. 
I love this series. It’s just getting to that point, I think. I have the next volume, and I’m going to be reading it right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment