Pages

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Novel Review: If I Should Die (Revenants, #3) by Amy Plum



Rating (Out of 5): ~4-4.5
Genre: YA Supernatural Romance
Publisher: HarperCollins/Teen
Publish Date: May 7th, 2013
Spoilers?:  Mild, nothing major, not the ending.

Goodreads Synopsis:

I will not lose another person I love. I will not let history repeat itself.

Vincent waited lifetimes to find me, but in an instant our future together was shattered. He was betrayed by someone we both called a friend, and I lost him. Now our enemy is determined to rule over France’s immortals, and willing to wage a war to get what they want.

It shouldn’t be possible, none of it should be, but this is my reality. I know Vincent is somewhere out there, I know he’s not completely gone, and I will do anything to save him.

After what we’ve already fought to achieve, a life without Vincent is unimaginable. He once swore to avoid dying—to go against his nature and forsake sacrificing himself for others—so that we could be together. How can I not risk everything to bring my love back to me?

What Will I Miss?:

I'm going to miss the characters in this series, the world it's set in, their version of Paris and how they explore it. I'm going to miss the surprises, however big or small they were. I'm definitely going to miss Kate and Vincent's relationship.

The Cover:

This cover, as well as the other covers in this series, and just generally pretty. They're fitting to the setting of the books, they give the feeling of love, which is a big part of the series. I just like them; they're not a favorite, but they're not really embarrassing, and I really don't mind looking at them.

Review:

This was a very good book, and a very good ending to the series.
So, Vincent is dead. Only not really, because he’s a ghost, invisible to the eye, but pretty clear in Kate’s head. Violette killed him, and is now trying to suck his Champion powers inside her, but it’s not working. Kate is sure that she can find a way to save him, to bring him back, and is determined to save him. And so she talks to her psychic friend, Bran, and then Jean-Baptiste’s old friend, Mr. Gold…
And that’s all I’m going to say about that. I don’t want to give away too much.
This was very good. Kate is fantastic, and Vincent is so sweet, and them together is just adorable and heart-warming. What happens with them in this book is very good, in many ways, and I think it turned out very well. What happened with Kate, in particular, was very good; I guessed at some of it, and was very happy to find out that I was right, and how exactly those guesses turned out.
I don’t want to get into too much detail about the big plot, because a lot happened, and it was very exciting, some of it surprising, some of it just plain good. It progressed well, and it ended very nicely, in my opinion. My only real problem with the progression is that, at times, it’s very slow. There’s stuff happening with the characters, sure, and it’s very easy to keep reading, but the big plot seems to come to a standstill a lot. For instance, when Vincent is stuck as a ghost and everyone is trying to find where he is being kept/where Violette is hiding and a way to bring him back, it just takes forever for anything to happen. They take so long discussing it and doing stuff close to home, which is smart, yes, but there is just so little action pertaining it, that there seems to be no rush and they have all the time in the world to find the answer, when they really don’t. That bothered me.
I like the romance in this series a lot. It’s just so sweet, and seems so honest, and is very believable, and the progression of it is done very well. Kate and Vincent are fantastic. I felt really bad for Jules, really bad at one point, and was surprised with what happened with him. I’ve never really seen that happen in a book before, and I liked the surprise of it. There was also a small romance for Kate’s sister, Georgia, and that was very nice as well.
I liked all of the characters—some of them I have a hard time remembering the personalities and characteristics of, but overall I like them. They’re fun, and they have their parts in the story that are needed. I like that there are so many people there to help them with everything. Also, Kate’s Mamie and Papy take part in a lot of the stuff, in taking care of the girls, making sure they’re okay, and even searching for answers, and I really liked them. So often in YA, the parental figures are never present, that it’s refreshing when they are part of everything, especially when it’s because they’re helping.
So. I was pleasantly surprised with this book, I really liked it, I thought it was a great conclusion to the series. And I look forward to anything that Plum releases next.

No comments:

Post a Comment