Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Manga Review: Bloody Mary, Volume 10, by Akaza Samamiya


Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: Shojo Beat (VIZ Media)
Release Date: March 6, 2018
Volumes: 10.
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 9.

Goodreads Synopsis:

A blood-pounding tale of an unorthodox alliance between a vampire and an exorcist!

“Bloody” Mary, a vampire with a death wish, has spent the past 400 years chasing down a modern-day exorcist named Maria who is thought to have inherited “The Blood of Maria” and is the only one who can kill Mary. To Mary’s dismay, Maria doesn’t know how to kill vampires. Desperate to die, Mary agrees to become Maria’s bodyguard until Maria can find a way to kill him.

No one knew that the death and resurrection of “Mary” was actually an attempt to revive the weak and ailing Mary. When Mary learns this truth, he hears the voice of “Mary.” And now Maria must finally fulfill Mary’s death wish… But still a greater tragedy awaits…

Review:

And it draws to a close.
Mary and “Mary” finally come to a head, and we really get to see them see each other and understand what the other has been doing and why. They both get to understand why they have such differing wishes, and Mary gets to deal with his wish to die. “Mary” gets to see Hydra after so long, after we see Hydra confront Mary.
Then it's gets messy, as Mary attacks Maria. This part seems tragic, and then just odd of a choice to me. I'm not sure if I think it was necessary, how it happened, but I do think that what Maria does is important, particularly for his character but also the others.
The conclusion for a few of the characters seems odd to me, drastic, but then again it probably fits really well. I do like the ending for Mary and Maria.
I think my biggest hang up with this ending is the conclusion to who really is Mary. The reveal of what his name actually was, and his decision to stay Mary. It just feels overused, I guess? Something about it is off for me, though I'm not sure why. Maybe it just feels too anticlimactic, I'm not sure.
I did really enjoy this series, it definitely had me hooked, and I would definitely read another by her.


A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, for an honest review. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment