Pages

Monday, November 19, 2018

Manga Review: Black Torch, Volume 1, by Tsuyoshi Takaki


Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: Shonen Jump (VIZ Media)
Release Date: August 2018
Volumes: 5.
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 2.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Ninja and animal lover Jiro Azuma’s life is changed forever when he finds himself in the middle of a war with ninjas vs. demons.

Jiro Azuma is descended from of a long line of shinobi, and he also can talk to animals. One day, he rescues a very unique black cat named Rago, a supernatural being, and is dragged into a secret supernatural war.

Although he may appear rough-and-tumble, Jiro Azuma’s compassionate side emerges when it comes to the furry critters he can communicate with. But Jiro's soft spot for animals gets him in major trouble when a suspicious stray cat fuses with him, granting him exceptional power but also dragging him into humanity's hidden battle against powerful Japanese spirits, mononoke.

Review:

At the start of this volume, it gave me the feeling of Black Cat and Bleach. The former I've read none of, and the latter I've read very little of. But in a good way. Sometimes action shonen are just fun.
Jiro is a ninja who can talk to animals, and he stumbles into a fight between Mononoke. This has a surprising twist that I didn't expect, but that I appreciate. Jiro meets his to-be-boss Ryosuke, and his potential partner Ichika, but then he has to finish some things, take care of some loose family ends, before he agrees to join them.
I really enjoyed this first volume. It's very action, supernatural shonen, and I liked that. I'm looking forward to reading the next one.


A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, for an honest review. Thank you so, so much!

1 comment:

  1. I've heard a little bit about this series, and so far I've seen a lot of positive feedback on it! I've been looking for some new shounen series to pick up, and I'm always down to try any good action series, so I'll have to read it soon. Have you heard about The Devil's Boy? It's another action/shounen series that I've been reading recently. It's about a guy in high school who's bullied so severely that he wishes he was dead. After begging for anyone to save him, the arch devil approaches him and offers him a deal: the arch devil can give him powers to fight off his bullies, but if he uses too much of the power before 30 days, he'll turn over his soul to the arch devil. It has a lot of twists, and a ton of great action scenes. I also love how the main character develops from a weaker person to someone that relies on the strange power that he's been given. If you're looking for any more shounen series to pick up, I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete