Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Manga Review: Monster Hunter: Flash Hunter, Volume 7, by Keiichi Hikami and Shin Yamamoto


Rating (Out of 5): ~2
Publisher: VIZ Media
Release Date: April 2017
Volumes: 10.
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 6. 8.

Goodreads Synopsis:

In the world of the hit game from Capcom, novice hunters team up to fight huge monsters!

It is an age when monsters rule the world, soaring through the sky, treading the earth and filling the seas. Humanity survives on the fringes, relying on a special kind of hero to defend the people from danger – the Monster Hunters!

Keres takes on Muriel as his apprentice, and she has a lot to learn about being a Hunter. Beyond the practical skills of hunting, she also learns more about Keres’ background and her own inspiration for becoming a Hunter. Raiga continues pushing his limits, but will it cost him his friends? Time passes but the hunt goes on!

Review:

I want to start this by saying that this series is not made for me. It's not really my kind of story to begin with, but the games are also not my kind of thing. I still kind of expected to like it more, though.
I just had a hard time following this volume. There's a catch-up at the beginning of the volume, with characters, and yet when I started the volume, I felt like 70% of the story and characters had been left out of it. I had so little idea of who anyone was and what their relationship to each other was. I had a hard time telling them apart, and then the time line skipped around a few times.
I had a hard time following the action, too. The fighting was all a blur to me, and I had no idea what was happening. With the games, too, I don't understand how the fights work. I'm not used to characters fighting a monster, and then suddenly leaving the fight for a few scenes/days to recover, and then going back.
I think the story really started falling apart for me, though, when I started wondering why they were searching out these monsters and killing them off so harshly—what did the monsters do? I mean, that couple just wanted to protect their eggs.
I think I'm just going to say that this series isn't for me, and leave it at that. I mean, there wasn't even a single character I cared about, at any point in this volume.


A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, for an honest review. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment