Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Manga Review: Black Butler, Volume 26, by Yana Toboso


Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5-4
Publisher: Yen Press
Release Date: August 2018
Volumes: 27+
Spoilers?: Yes.
Volume: 1. 25. 27.

Goodreads Synopsis:

While Earl Ciel Phantomhive and his indomitable butler, Sebastian, are away on the trail of Blavat and the Blue Star Cult, the sound of gunshots echoes through the halls of their London townhouse. What chaos awaits master and servant upon their return home? And why is the young earl shaken to his core by the message left behind by the invader?

Review:

I'm conflicted about this.
So, we conclude the cliffhanger from last time, and it's honestly awful. I didn't really want to believe that's how it would end, and it is really sad. I feel so bad for Soma.
During the aftermath of this, it's clear that something is bothering Ciel. Something is haunting him, and he's asking odd questions... All of this leading to a truly surprising reveal, to discovering that our Ciel is actually not Ciel at all.
I don't know how to feel about this. On one hand, it's so overused to throw in a secret twin. And it's rather unbelievable. It makes me distend my belief a bit too much. But on the other hand, it's pulled off rather well, and the backstory we get regarding it is very interesting. I'm interested to see how it all leads to Ciel being where he is when we start the series. It also makes me wonder about his deal with Sebastian—does him pretending to be someone else complicate their contract?
I'm conflicted over this turn of events. But I'm also very interested to see where that cliffhanger goes. What bad things happen next? What led to Ciel being where he was, and making a deal with devil?

No comments:

Post a Comment