Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Manga Review: Fruits Basket Another, Volume 1, by Natsuki Takaya


Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Publisher: Yen Press
Release Date: July 2018
Volumes: 2+
Spoilers?: Very light.
Volume: 2.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Sawa Mitoma, a shy and unconfident girl, has just started high school, and it's already not going well...until she makes friends meets the President and Vice-President of the student council. But little does she know, they're Sohmas!? It's Fruits Basket...again!

Review:

I was really wary of starting this book. On one hand, I was extremely excited to get more Fruits Basket. This is one of my absolute favorite series, and the idea of getting more makes me so very excited. But then I heard some iffy reviews of it, and I wasn't sure what to expect. As it started, I thought maybe she was just recreating the original story. But then it becomes apparent that this story is following the original cast's kids, and the ending of the original hasn't changed.
There's still some question of what happened in the Sohma household, and what everyone is up to now. It's unclear who all is together and how they're getting along, but it's also clear that they're happy.
Each kid looks very much like their parent, and whenever there's mention of them, it makes me unbelievably happy. We see Yuki's son Mutsuki and Kyo and Tohru's son Hajime, as they meet the protagonist Sawa. She has a lot of self-confidence issues, and the whole volumes starts very reminiscent of the original Fruits Basket beginning. Mutsuki and Hajime are extremely similar to Yuki and Kyo. I have mixed feelings about this, because they also seem a step ahead of where those two were at the beginning. These characters having a nice home background is a big change for them.
Reading this volume made me extremely happy. Even getting to hear about the original cast and that they're all doing good and doting parents now makes me giddy. At the end of the reprinted final volume, Takaya mentions that she intends for this series to be short, and to not show the parents. I really hope she does, though. Reading this only proved to me that I would rather have a continuation of the original. I want to see Yuki and Tohru and Momiji and everyone grown up and living their lives. Even a continuing 4-koma manga, where they're just going about their days, would delight me.

No comments:

Post a Comment