Pages

Saturday, March 9, 2019

Manga Review: Saikano: The Last Love Song on This Little Planet, Volume 7, by Shin Takahashi


Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Publisher: Editor's Choice (VIZ Media)
Release Date: 2006.
Volumes: 7.
Spoilers?: No.
Buy it here: Amazon. Barnes and Noble. RightStuf.
Volume: 1.

Goodreads Synopsis:

With the war finally winding down, Chise begins to realize that her last chance for happiness is slipping away forever. Desperately trying to reclaim the humanity that she lost, the shy teenager makes one last bid for true love. But is it too late? Has Chise lost the opportunity to experience the most basic of all human emotions? Despite her awesome arsenal of military might, Chise has never been able to take control of her own personal life. One way or another, that's about to change.

Review:

I mostly just don’t know what to think about this series. I wasn’t in love with it, that’s for sure.
I didn’t really connect with the characters until near the end, and even then I wasn’t in love with any of them. I liked seeing the two as a real couple, when they were living together. This seemed like a very sedated, quiet series, where things happened slowly, almost in a boring way, but also quite depressing.
There was never much of an explanation, in a sci-fi sense, for why she was the way she was, or how all that worked. Mostly, the whole world and reasons could have been explained a lot more.
The characters could have been developed a lot more.
And the ending just… just why? I don’t understand the point of it all, with that ending. (Although, maybe that's the point?) It’s depressing, and I just… Maybe I just don’t get it? I mean, I guess it kind of makes sense, it was kind of leading up to this, and yeah the title makes more sense now. Maybe it's just that I don't like the kind of stories that end like this. It's disappointing, it seems like too much, and just doesn't always seem necessary?
I didn’t really care for a lot of this series, and I didn’t really get the ending. But also, I am definitely not the intended audience for this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment