Pages

Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Manga Review: Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt, Volume 8, by Yasuo Ohtagaki, Hajime Yatate, and Yoshiyuki Tomino


Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Publisher: VIZ Signature (VIZ Media)
Release Date: August 2018
Volumes: 13+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 5. 9.

Goodreads Synopsis:

An epic story of war and survival set in the legendary Gundam universe!

In the Universal Century year 0079, the space colony known as Side 3 proclaims independence as the Principality of Zeon and declares war on the Earth Federation. One year later, they are locked in a fierce battle for the Thunderbolt Sector, an area of space scarred by the wreckage of destroyed colonies.

The mission to recover Zeon’s Reuse P. Device technology leads Daryl Lorenz and his unit to the Rig, a network of oil platforms inside Nanyang Alliance territory now repurposed as a floating city. The Rig is a haven for refugees and deserters from both sides of the war, all living under the watchful eye of the warrior monks of the Alliance. Ordered to infiltrate the Rig undercover, Lorenz and his team must make contact with a Zeon operative and begin a covert operation to learn the secrets of the Nanyang Alliance and its leader, Sojo Levan Fu, who plans to do far more than simply mass-produce the Psycho Zaku…

Review:

This is an odd series, with an odd concept, and I seem to have a hard time understanding who the main character is and what they stand for. Maybe that's just what happens in Gundam though? I've never read or watched any of it, really, so I guess I wouldn't know?
I'm really not a mecha fan, I'm finding out. This is also such an odd dystopian world, that I have a hard time following it. It doesn't make much sense to me, I guess. Maybe cause I missed how the story started.
There are some religious and political themes in this volume, and I'm not quite sure where the characters stand. There are a few different battles, a lot of moving around, some battles in the water. And then the volume ends as they're possibly getting caught.
I am definitely not the audience for this series. I care too little for the suits and battles and themes, and there isn't enough character for me to follow, I think.


A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, for an honest review. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment