Pages

Thursday, September 26, 2019

Manga Review: Forget Me Not, Volume 7, by Mag Hsu and Nao Emoto


Rating (Out of 5): ~3-3.5
Publisher: Kodansha Comics
Release Date: March 2017
Volumes: 7.
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 6.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Serizawa is a twentysomething working at a divorce attorney's office. Walking home from work one day, he gets into an accident, and a woman carries him to an ambulance. Later, at the hospital, still bleary, he receives a phone call from the woman who saved his life. This person knows intimate details about him... but he's not sure who it is. Serizawa's gentle personality has drawn lots of girls to him since his childhood, but he's far from perfect. Was it someone he loved and lost? Or perhaps someone he wronged, to whom he failed to make amends?

Review:

 I think the reason I wasn't a big fan of the ending at first was because I held so little regard for each relationship we followed. I knew they all ended badly, and I wanted to know who the girl was from the beginning. I didn't care too much for his relationship with Sam-Soon, in particular.
A large portion of this volume concludes the Nana's plot line, and I really don't care for it. Serizawa learns from it, I suppose, but it's also a mess. It's not a good situation in any form.
Then we finally discover who the girl was who started all of this. And I think it's fitting, who it turns out to be and how it turns out. It has an effect on Serizawa that he needs to get closure on certain parts of his life, and on his decision to finally make a decision and do something about it. He's spent so much time letting conflicts build and miscommunication fester and letting moments pass where he should have said something. It is good to see him finally grow past that.
I suppose it makes sense which girl he ends up with in the end, as they did seem to have the more meaningful relationship, for both of them. And looking back on it, after some time to think, I don't mind that. It fits.
This was a messy series, but I did enjoy it, for the most part.

No comments:

Post a Comment