Pages

Monday, September 9, 2019

Manga Review: The Girl from the Other Side: Siuil, a Run, Volume 1, by Nagabe


Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Publisher: Seven Seas
Release Date: January 2017
Volumes: 8+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 2.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Once upon a time...

In a land far away, there were two kingdoms: the Outside, where twisted beasts roamed that could curse with a touch, and the Inside, where humans lived in safety and peace. The girl and the beast should never have met, but when they do, a quiet fairytale begins.

This is a story of two people--one human, one inhuman--who linger in the hazy twilight that separates night from day.

Review:

I cannot believe it has taken me so long to start this series. I heard all the good things about it, all the recommendations. No, I don't know what's wrong with me, honestly.
Shiva was an Insider, and she doesn't know why the town is empty now; all she knows is that this kind Outsider whom she calls Teacher is taking care of her, and her aunt should be coming to pick her up anytime now. So until then, she lives on happily with him, going around the village and finding food and things.
The dynamic of this just gets to me so hard. Teacher is living on in this little cottage, and he's taking care of Shiva, making food for her and making sure that she doesn't touch him. Because if she touches him, she'll be cursed. He doesn't believe anyone is coming for her, and he feels terrible and doesn't know how to tell her that.
Honestly, Teacher is extremely crush-worthy. I love him. He is the ultimate sweetheart, makeshift dad characters, and I love him. And then Shiva is a sweet little girl, happy to go on with her life, and Teacher just wants her to be innocent and happy for as long as possible.
There's clear dark tones throughout this. We discover why the Insiders left, and that they're hunting for the Outsiders, as their land is getting smaller as more villages are supposedly infected with the curse.
Even without the cliffhanger I want more of this series. I'm already a huge fan of Shiva and Teacher, and I want to see more of their story, whether it's slice-of-life or focused on the serious plot. I just want to read more of this. The artwork is gorgeous, the themes and tones of the story and characters are so good; I'm hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment