Pages

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Review: Coffeehouse Angel by Suzanne Selfors

Publisher: Walker & Company

Goodreads Synopsis:

From the author of Saving Juliet comes a romantic comedy that is good to the last drop. When Katrina spots a homeless guy sleeping in the alley behind her grandmother’s coffee shop, she decides to leave him a cup of coffee, a bag of chocolate-covered coffee beans, and some pastries to tide him over. Little does she know that this random act of kindness is about to turn her life upside down.  Because this adorable vagrant, Malcolm, is really a guardian angel on a break between missions. And he won’t leave until he can reward Katrina’s selflessness by fulfilling her deepest desire. Now if only she could decide what that might be . . .

Review:
 
I've read her previous book, Saving Juliet, and while I should reread it, I did like it. This one wasn't as good.
It's about Katrina, who lives above a coffeehouse with her grandmother. The coffeehouse isn't doing very well, because they have a competitive coffeehouse next door. Then Katrina helps a guy that looks homeless, and he says that he wants to repay her. And he means by granting her what she wants most.
Katrina doesn't believe him, and wishes for things that don't really matter to her, so he keeps coming back and trying to grant the correct one. There aren't big comical mess ups as a result, but more of things that just keep making the situation worse.
Like she ends up making her best friend famous, and her cat famous in a bad way, and her grandmother ends up getting hurt, and the shop just keeps doing worse, and she gets attached to her 'angel'. Of course, things start looking up by the end, and so it's good and whatever.
First, Katrina. I didn't get attached to her, and I didn't really mind her. She was just... whatever. I liked Vincent, her friend. He was nice, and a good guy. I didn't really believe that there wasn't more between them, though. It seemed like there was more to it, and if the reader was really supposed to believe that there wasn't, then it should have been written better.
I also did really like Malcolm, the angel. He was a good guy, and I liked him and Katrina together. And the scene near the end with the car was really good, and the ending with him was also good. Katrina's grandmother was sweet, and the old men that visited the coffeehouse regularly were awesome. I loved the banter, and just them.
This wasn't as good as I'd hoped it would be. I had some of a hard time finishing it, and I didn't like that. I will read her next book, and I hope that it's better than this one was.

No comments:

Post a Comment