Pages

Monday, November 14, 2011

Review: Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan

Publisher: Speak (Penguin)
Goodreads Synopsis:

One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, Will Grayson crosses paths with . . . Will Grayson. Two teens with the same name, running in two very different circles, suddenly find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, and culminating in epic turns-of-heart and the most fabulous musical ever to grace the high school stage. Told in alternating voices from two YA superstars, this collaborative novel features a double helping of the heart and humor that have won them both legions of fans.

Review:

I've read John Green's other books, but only David Levithans books with Rachel Cohn. I've enjoyed them all, and was looking forward to reading more. I should have read this a while ago, but I kept putting it off. I'm glad I finally got to it, though.
The book is mostly about two boys by the same name meeting. But it's about more than that. They are both having problems with themselves and love. And the book is also about Tiny Cooper.
I didn't particularly feel a big connection to either Will Grayson, but I did really like them both. John Green's Will Grayson has problems accepting love, and he's conflicted about things, and emotional with everything. But in the second half of the book, some good stuff happens with Jane, and then he talks with Tiny, and I liked him even more. Especially because of his talk with Tiny. David Levithan's will grayson has depression, so he's also emotional, but he has a hard time dealing with emotions, and people. So really, Will Grayson is emotional and conflicted and will grayson is moody, and they are both a bit self-centered. But they are also both entertaining.
Will Grayson has John Greens interest if things, so it has lots of Will Grayson thinking about things and realizing things. And will grayson is very funny while also a bit harsh.
Will Grayson has Tiny Cooper, and then Nick and Gary and Jane. They're all good. I like Jane for him, she was fun and works with him. And will grayson has Tiny Cooper and Maura and Gideon, and Simon and Derek. Simon and Derek are entertaining, but we don't see them a lot. Maura I didn't like, because of what she did to will grayson, but I spent most of the book thinking that we were going to get some insight into her and see that will was wrong about her, so I wasn't trying to not not like her. Now I'm still a bit conflicted, because I feel there's something more there, and that we didn't enough closure with her, but I still don't particularly like her. And Gideon, even though we didn't get a whole lot of him, I did like. And he's good for will grayson.
Now, Tiny Cooper. Tiny Cooper is gay and big and energetic. He has had way too many boyfriends that have lasted way too short, and he writes a musical about himself which he changes to be about love. He wants appreciation and he wants to do something good for other people. He tries to set up Will Grayson with Jane, and he tries to be good to will grayson. And he's also the main reason that the rating is as high as it is. Because of the musical, which is brilliant (I wish my school did plays that good and the people were that enthusiastic about it,) and because of what the will grayons' do for him. It was infinitely sweet and also funny. It was awesome.
I did quite enjoy this book, and I'm looking forward to reading more of theirs, as John Green's will be out in a couple of months and David Levithan already has several out.

No comments:

Post a Comment