Pages

Monday, May 4, 2015

Manga Review: The Devil is a Part-Timer! (manga), Volume 1, by Satoshi Wagahara, Akio Hiiragi, and 029 (Oniku)



Rating (Out of 5): ~2.5-3
Publisher: Yen Press
Release Date: March 24, 2015
Volumes: 7+
Spoilers?: No.

Goodreads Synopsis:

After being soundly thrashed by the hero Emilia, the Devil King and his general beat a hasty retreat to a parallel universe...only to land plop in the middle of bustling, modern-day Tokyo! Lacking the magic necessary to return home, the two are forced to assume human identities and live average human lives until they can find a better solution. And to make ends meet, Satan finds gainful employment at a nearby fast food joint! With his devilish mind set on working his way up the management food chain, what will become of his thirst for conquest?!

Review:

I’ve watched the anime of this, and honestly… it was okay. But I didn’t love it. I thought I would give the manga a shot, and I’m not really sold with this either.
I’m not fully sure why, but something about the characters and the story… They just don’t stand out to me, it doesn’t bring me in. Sadly, I just don’t think this series is for me.
The whole devil coming into the human world and working in a fast food joint sounds great, and honestly I think it is a fun concept in the series. There’s potential with the devil and his assistant characters. The hero is an interesting character, and I’m intrigued by the romance between her and the devil (which is clearly going to develop, of course). I don’t really care for Chiho, in either version. She just annoys me.
It might also be that the storyline here is pretty much the exact same as in the first few episodes of the anime, so I’ve already seen it.
The artwork is a little different. It’s similar, but somehow softer here, less sharp, and the characters (especially the devil) looks younger here. I kind of like it here more, actually.
I wanted to like this, I really did. But I don’t think I’ll be reading more.

No comments:

Post a Comment