Pages

Friday, February 15, 2019

Manga Review: Shortcake Cake, Volume 2, by suu Morishita


Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: Shojo Beat (VIZ Media)
Release Date: November 2018
Volumes: 10+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 3.

Goodreads Synopsis:

An unflappable girl and a cast of lovable male roommates at a boardinghouse create bonds of friendship and romance.

When Ten moves out of her parents’ home in the mountains to live in a boardinghouse, she finds herself becoming fast friends with her male roommates. But can love and romance be far behind?

Ten has moved into a boardinghouse with other high school students to avoid a long commute home through the mountains. Ten accidentally overhears Riku talking to Chiaki about his feelings for her. Ten and Riku try to act as if nothing has changed between them, as Chiaki watches them with mixed feelings.

Review:

I am enjoying this series, and I'm quite liking the odd dynamics. But I'm also so very unsure of where it's going.
This is not a typical love triangle, or even reverse harem. Chiaki seemed like the obvious pick at the beginning, and then Riko seemed like the surprise, better pick for her. But then how the cliffhanger from the last volume concludes throws all of that out. And then we see Rei again, and he starts trying to cause trouble.
I appreciate that Ten doesn't really go along with any of it. She's just honest about her interest, and doesn't really let it get to her. Riko is sweet, and I like him a lot; I'm curious about what his part in this impending drama is going to be, what his history is. Then there's Chiaki. Chiaki is straight-faced and book-minded, and I have never related to a character more. He's honestly my favorite, though I don't know if I'm rooting for him or Riko more at this point. I also really appreciate the friendship between Riko and Chiaki; they're close, and mostly honest with each other, and I like that.
This doesn't feel like a typical shojo to me, and that makes me a little unsure of what direction it's taking, but I also really like that. I'm enjoying the characters the more I read of it.


 A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, for an honest review. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment