Pages

Monday, February 4, 2019

Manga Review: Takane & Hana, Volume 5, by Yuki Shiwasu


Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Publisher: Shojo Beat (VIZ Media)
Release Date: October 2018
Volumes: 13+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 4. 6.

Goodreads Synopsis:

A strong-willed high school girl and a hot, young scion of a business empire can’t help wanting to outwit each other every chance they get… But could these opposites be conning themselves out of the perfect match?!

After her older sister refuses to go to an arranged marriage meeting with Takane Saibara, the heir to a vast business fortune, high schooler Hana Nonomura agrees to be her stand-in to save face for the family. But when these two utter opposites pair up, get ready for some sparks to fly!

Hana’s usual Christmas family celebration gets canceled, so she can’t help but feel disappointed at the prospect of spending Christmas Eve alone. Takane decides to ask Hana out to dinner for that night, but then a beautiful medical school student named Rino shows up declaring her love for Takane! Does this mean Hana has a love rival?!

Review:

Despite the apparent age difference, and that this series features such an older male love interest, and that even the plot of this series hints at more mature themes, and even the main couple being in an actual romantic relationship—this series is really quite light on the romantic moments. There's more normal shojo tension and high school humor and drama, than you would expect, if you think about it.
Part of me wishes this were more mature—because I do love those kinds of romances—but I do quite love the humor and tension. This series is a lot of fun.
In this volume, as the school festival ends, we get to meet some new people from Takane's life. First there's his young cousin, who looks like a copy of Takane, and who wants to be just like him. He's not impressed by Hana from the get-go, and I actually liked where this plot went. When Hana gets to watch him for a day, there's a nice teaching moment, as we see him take his admiration and pride too far for a moment. After that, we meet an old friend of Takane's, who causes some momentary drama, but is rather fun overall.
This is a really fun series. I like the main couple, but it's also nice to see Nicola and Hana's friends, and the basic jokes on Takane's personality are always fun.


 A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, for an honest review. Thank you so, so much!

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty impressed with how much the series has improved. I honestly wasn't sure if I would like the series when I started it, but with how much the writing has improved over the last few volumes, it was hard for me to put it down. I'm definitely excited to see where the story is going to go from here! If you're looking to try out any more romance series, I think you would enjoy The Lady and Her Butler. It's a romcom series that I've been hearing a lot about lately. It personally really stood out to me because it breaks a lot of stereotypes of the romance genre, and has some pretty interesting characters as well. I was also incredibly impressed by the writing and the complex relationships in the series. It's definitely the best romance series that I've read this year, so I honestly can't recommend it enough.

    ReplyDelete