Pages

Thursday, January 23, 2020

Manga Review: Shortcake Cake, Volume 5, by suu Morishita


Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: Shojo Beat (VIZ Media)
Release Date: August 2019
Volumes: 12.
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 4. 6.

Goodreads Synopsis:

An unflappable girl and a cast of lovable male roommates at a boardinghouse create bonds of friendship and romance.

When Ten moves out of her parents’ home in the mountains to live in a boardinghouse, she finds herself becoming fast friends with her male roommates. But can love and romance be far behind?

Ten comes to a realization. Chiaki and Riku both have feelings for Ten, but Riku doesn’t feel that he can pursue her.

Review:

Chiaki is watching as Ten tries to get closer to Riku, trying to stay out of it and yet still ending up next to her all the time. It's no surprise that he does what he does at the end of the volume.
Honestly, I think I like the boys in this series more than Ten. She's okay, and there are definite moments that I relate to her. But also she's not all that memorable or particularly stand-out. And yet, I relate the most to Chiaki and I love him. And Riku is super sweet, too. I like that we get to see inside each of their heads, too, since the boys stand out so much and even their friendship is as important to me as everything else.
I'm a little iffy on this series, but also there's scenes that stand out and that I love so much, all at the same time.


A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, for an honest review. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment