Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Manga Review: Black Butler, Volume 28, by Yana Toboso


Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: Yen Press
Release Date: October 2019
Volumes: 29+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 27. 29.

Goodreads Synopsis:

The truth of what happened three years ago comes to light, as the past Ciel sought to erase is thrust back into his face. The revelations shake the Phantomhive manor to its foundations, and even Sebastian, the resident devil, can only look on in admiration at the consummate gamesmanship at play. The Phantomhive blood, it would seem, runs thick with the thirst for vengeance...

Review:

This was kind of a crazy volume to read.
We get to the end of the back story, and then the rest of the reveals happen. We find out how this “real” Ciel is here, what happened that our Ciel doesn't know, and what he's been doing behind the scenes to ruin things for our Ciel. Some of it, I think, is supposed to make sense but kind of just feels convenient. And then there's this moment with Elizabeth that I just hate. I truly love her, and I love her and Ciel together, and I do not like this new stance of hers. I'm not okay with any of this.
Everything is turned over on Ciel's head and twisted to make him seem terrible, and it's honestly one of the few times we get to see him truly shaken. He can't protest to much of this, and he doesn't even really know how to react at first. It takes a bit for it to really hit him and for him to decide what to do about it.
I will admit that I think some of this plot has lost its momentum at this point. I was behind it at first, but now it's lost me a little bit. I'm still going to stick with it, and I want to know where it's going next, but I'm not as behind all of this as I was previously.

No comments:

Post a Comment