Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Manga Review: Oresama Teacher, Volume 4, by Izumi Tsubaki

Rating (Out of 5): 3.5
Publisher: VIZ Media
Volumes: 12+

Goodreads Synopsis:
Troublemaking student council chairman Hanabusa thinks the best way to solve the problem of two similar clubs at school is to have them fight to the death! Actually, the losers just have to disband their club. But a silly club rivalry quickly gets out of hand when Mafuyu is kidnapped by the enemy!

Review:
I really enjoyed this volume. Probably more than the last one. It took me a while to actually pick it up and start reading it, and I don't know why, because I should have known that I would enjoy it. And I like Tsubaki's humor, so I don't know if I think it's better because it's been a while since I read the last one, but I found this volume really funny.
So, the first four chapter of the book, focus on the public morals club and the yojimbo club, who both do pretty much the same thing, fighting, or getting ready to fight, to see which club gets to stay. We see at the beginning that they're going to be fighting, but a lot of it shows Mafuyu 'training' Hayasaka, who is rather bad at fighting. He doesn't think about it, and he doesn't dodge, and Mafuyu has a rather hard time showing him things. There's a bit of this where she tells him how to do things, shows him, and tells him why he should do it. Like she'll explain techniques to him. I found this interesting, but I already knew some of it from when I took karate several years ago, so I'm curious as to whether other people liked it or if it bothered them. Oh, also, for a lot of this part, Mafuyu is dressed up as Natsuo, a boy who fights (a 'secret bancho'), because Mafuyu isn't supposed to know how to fight or be very good at it. Natsuo was created in the second volume, and Saeki makes her be him. I thought this would bother me, but it made it quite funny.
But I really like Hayasaka, find him really entertaining. And there's a part of the book when Saeki and Natsuo are close to each other, in which Saeki is being mean to Natsuo, but Hayasaka walks in and thinks that they're gay and have a secret love affair. Mafuyu is quick to say no, but Saeki says yes because it will keep Hayasaka farther from Natsuo so he won't discover that they're the same person. So for quite a bit, Natsuo is trying to clear this up.
Also, there's some obvious feelings between Mafuyu and Hayasaka, but neither of them realize it. They're just too innocent and stupid. It's still rather fun, though, and I'm looking forward to seeing things evolve between all of them.
Oh, and then Natsuo and Hayasaka do some fighting, and there are some sweet words said between them. It's nice.
Anyway, in the fifth chapter, Maizono, the masochistic delinquent from Mafuyu's old school, comes to town to bring her something. I was hoping that somethings were going to be revealed about Mafuyu, but no. He gets lost and ends up running into Hayasaka, who he asks to bring him to the school's bancho. When he finds out that it isn't Mafuyu, he describes her to them. They decide that it can't be the Mafuyu they know, and so they keep thinking of some big guy, no matter how many times he calls her a 'she'. So the three of them walk around town, 'looking for him', but they go to an arcade, a place that Hayasaka hasn't really been to before, and they eat and fight. And then Maizono goes home, where Mafuyu glimpses him on the train after hearing about some violent Mafuyu in town that Maizono has been boasting about. It's funny, but I was still hoping that there's be some more plot development. I still enjoyed it, though, and I'm glad that I got to see some more of Mafuyu's friends from her old school, since I like them.
In the last chapter, Saeki drags Mafuyu to the beach, because he needs some time off, and is all frustrated from not being able to fight. And we find out that Mafuyu can't swim, and Saeki unsuccessfully tries to teach her. And then Mafuyu almost drowns, but Saeki saves her, and we find out that he had to use CPR on her, to which Mafuyu doesn't know what to think.
I'm really enjoying this series, and am hoping to get the next one soon. I like all of the characters, and just the comedy bits are fun to read, but I would like to see some more of the plot development. But I might just be looking forward to seeing Mafuyu's fighting ways being revealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment