Pages

Friday, November 20, 2015

Novel Review: Evernight (Evernight, #1) by Claudia Gray



Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: 2008
Spoilers?: One with Warning.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Bianca wants to escape.

At the eerily Gothic Evernight Academy, the other students are sleek, smart, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in.

When she meets handsome, brooding Lucas he warns her to be careful--even when it comes to caring about him. But the connection between them can't be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart...and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed.

The Cover:

I don't care for this cover at all. It's just so plain and it doesn't catch my attention, it more turns my attention away. Just bleh.

Review:

It has taken me a long time to finally finish this book. I picked it up like three times in the last several years, and am just now finishing it. And given how hard a time I had, I’m surprised it really wasn’t so bad.
I will say that I like the surprise about halfway through. (Spoilers!) I didn’t expect Bianca to be the vampire, and I liked that. And saying that, I did expect Lucas to be a slayer. Especially with the way he was acting. (End Spoilers!) But I did like the surprise and how it was handled, the no nonsense that all the other students felt, and the set up of the school because of it.
I didn’t really feel the romance between Bianca and Lucas, though. It was a little steamy a couple of times, and I liked the added biting thrown in. But I still didn’t really love them as a couple. It just wasn’t there for me.
I liked all the vampire myth used, the explanations behind it all, and how open they were with each other about it once they knew. And I was interested enough through most of it. Still, I probably won’t be picking up the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment