Pages

Friday, November 27, 2015

Novel Review: Infinite Days (Vampire Queen, #1) by Rebecca Maizel



Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Release Date: 2010
Spoilers?: No.

Goodreads Synopsis:

“Throughout all my histories, I found no one I loved more than you... no one.”

Those were some of Rhode’s last words to me. The last time he would pronounce his love. The last time I would see his face.

It was the first time in 592 years I could take a breath. Lay in the sun. Taste.

Rhode sacrificed himself so I, Lenah Beaudonte, could be human again. So I could stop the blood lust.

I never expected to fall in love with someone else that wasn’t Rhode.

But Justin was... daring. Exciting. More beautiful than I could dream.

I never expected to be sixteen again... then again, I never expected my past to come back and haunt me...

The Cover:

I do not like this cover at all. The close up on the face to show the eyes, the angle, the colors, the font, it all just turns me off.

Review:

After reading Maizel’s Between Us and the Moon, I was hoping I would like this more.
Firstly, Lenah got on my nerves. I do think it was purposeful, what with her living over five hundred years and being a vampire. But she was still so full of herself, narcissistic and condescending. At the same time, she let the other teenage girls make fun of her, without putting up much of a fight. That drove me crazy.
Secondly, the writing did not work for me. It just made me bored, and droned on throughout the whole book. It made me want to put the book down. It made me feel disconnected from Lenah and the romance, so I didn’t really care for either of them. I also had to constantly remind myself that the characters were teenagers in high school, because they acted like college kids, and the school set up reminded me of a college campus.
I did like the idea behind the plot, though. Having Lenah turn back human after five hundred years a vampire was a really neat idea. Her use of the vampires, too, having them innately evil because of the constant pain they feel, as well as their inability to feel touch or taste. Very neat idea.
I also did enjoy some of the characters, and the development of them. Tony was a great friend to Lenah, and I don’t like what happened with him in the end. There was also a surprising twist thrown in at the end.
Overall, this book fell average to me. The writing and the main character is what did it for me, so I won’t be picking up the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment