Pages

Monday, December 5, 2016

Manga Review: Blue Morning, Volume 1, by Shoko Hidaka

Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Publisher: SuBLime (VIZ Media)
Release Date: 2013
Volumes: 7+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 2.

Goodreads Synopsis:

At only ten years of age, Akihito Kuze suddenly inherits the Kuze viscountship after his father’s death. The family's capable butler, Tomoyuki Katsuragi, takes over the task of raising the boy, serving as his tutor. However, the handsome and intelligent Katsuragi, well respected even among the aristocracy, remains cool towards his charge. Akihito finds himself relentlessly drawn to Katsuragi, frustrated by the distance between them and driven to discover the reasons why.

Reads R to L (Japanese Style) for mature audiences.

Review:

I heard quite a few good things about this, and it made me intrigued to pick it up. This is a historical series, about high class society and characters. I will admit that I see interesting thought put into it and possible plot points that are intriguing. But it was also kind of not interesting to me.
I must admit that I’m not a historical reader, I don’t really care about the society politics here, or the hierarchy between the main characters. And because of that, most of the plot in this volume didn’t interest me. There was a lot of discussion on those things, and just bleh to me.
I was more interested in the characters and relationships, and the romance. And there wasn’t much chemistry to me. I didn’t feel Akihito’s feelings for Tomoyuki, and I didn’t see the attraction between them at all. So all the hints and tried sexual moments just made me feel uneasy and I didn’t care for them.
I wanted to like this, but I really didn’t. I really wish I had, too, since I've heard such good things about this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment