Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Manga Review: Dimension W, Volume 2, by Yuji Iwahara


Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: Yen Press
Release Date: 2016
Volumes: 15+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 3.

Goodreads Synopsis:

True to his warning, Loser--the infamous phantom thief-makes an explosive entrance at the art museum to steal the Angels of Black and White Wings statue! "Collector" Kyouma Mabuchi, now teamed up with the android Mira to recover illegal Coils, faces off with the masked thief in the midst of the museum's heavy security. But it just so happens that Loser recognizes Kyouma--and what's more, he seems to know all about the Collector's dark past...What other secrets may lie hidden within the statue he seeks?

Review:

After the first volume, I wasn't really interested at all. But after this volume, I think I've changed my mind.
I thought this was going in the direction of episodic cases where they find coils and steal, maybe save some stuff. But instead, the art thief turns out to have a potentially deeper connection to Mabuchi, though that's left open-ended for the moment. It turns out good for Mira, though, who helps out and finds some coils.
After that, we meet the kids who show up to bother Mabuchi, though he's never done anything but complain at them. This leads to an explanation of the point system, which is something that people start with at birth and lose when they do bad things—it appears that they're unable to earn points back, and if they get down to a certain point, they'll be forced to go to lowers schools, it could ruin their reputation, it affects them as adults. It's an awful system, honestly; reading about it made me uneasy.
I'm not sure where the cliffhanger is going, though I'm intrigued. I didn't much care for the first volume, but this one has me much more interested. I liked Mabuchi more in this volume, and I liked getting to know Mira a lot more. I'm intrigued by the world this is set in, as well. I might actually pick up the next volume when I get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment