Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Manga Review: Tokyo Ghoul: re, Volume 1, by Sui Ishida


Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Publisher: VIZ Signature (VIZ Media)
Release Date: 2017
Volumes: 16.
Spoilers?: No.

Goodreads Synopsis:

In the world of Tokyo Ghoul, sometimes the only way to fight monsters is to become one…

The Commission of Counter Ghoul is the only organization fighting the Ghoul menace, and they will use every tool at their disposal to protect humanity from its ultimate predator. Their newest weapon in this hidden war is an experimental procedure that implants human investigators with a Ghoul’s Kagune, giving them Ghoul powers and abilities. But both the procedure and the newly formed Qs Squad are untested. Will they become heroes…or monsters?!

Haise Sasaki has been tasked with teaching Qs Squad how to be outstanding Investigators, but his assignment is complicated by the troublesome personalities of his subordinates and his own uncertain grasp of his Ghoul powers. Can he pull this ragtag group together as a team, or will Qs Squad’s first assignment be their last?

Review:

I took a break after the previous series ended, and I really wasn't sure if I wanted to read more. I was conflicted after the ending.
I've finally decided to continue this series, and after this volume... Well, I'm glad I continued, but now I'm a little confused.
As the volume started, I was very confused by when it was taking place, what all had passed, and who a lot of these people were. It wasn't until the last quarter of the volume, that some things started to make sense. But really, that only connected a couple dots, gave me more questions, but made me a lot more interested to keep reading. So, it did the job, quite well.
The world of the ghouls and the kagune and all that is a little confusing to me. There's a lot to understand, and a lot has seemed to change. Then there's this new squad, with Mutsuki and Haise and Urie and Shirazu. I'm intrigued by each of these characters, but I'm not sure what to think of them yet, or where they're going.
I'm very intrigued by Haise, but I want to know what happened that led him here, how things have changed so much. I will admit that some of this makes sense, because it always seemed like we needed to be inside the CCG, with them to see what they're doing.
I'm confused and intrigued. I'm also impressed with a lot of this. Even just the writing—it leaves you interested, and some of the character and technical choices were really thoughtful and done well, particularly with how Urie speaks and thinks.
I'm intrigued, and look forward to catching up.

No comments:

Post a Comment