Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2019

Manga Review: Hitorijime My Hero, Volume 1, by Memeco Arii


Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Publisher: Kodansha Comics
Release Date: January 2019
Volumes: 8+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 2.

Goodreads Synopsis:

"I don't like caramel sauce. I prefer something bitter..."

Masahiro Setagawa doesn't believe in heroes, but wishes he could- He's found himself in a gang of small-time street bullies who use him to run errands. But when high school teacher (and scourge of the streets) Kousuke Ohshiba comes to his rescue, he finds he may need to start believing after all...and as their relationship deepens, he realizes a hero might be just what he was looking for this whole time.

Review:

I was excited by the idea of this series. I haven't watched the anime or anything, but I was intrigued by the idea of Kodansha releasing yaoi series, and given the hype I was curious about this series. Which is to say, I'm a bit disappointed.
As the volume starts, I felt a bit lost. You get thrown into a discussion and history of these two characters, amid discussions with their friends. But it feels like some of the story has already happened, like I was missing something.
We meet Masahiro, who was in the wrong group of friends, but ends up growing close to older Kousuke, who's a bit too brash for him at first. There's some conflict, as one knows what he wants, and has to force the other to acknowledge his wants and rethink these things.
Kousuke's younger brother was cute, possibly the best part of the volume. His relationship was sweet, and he was fun to watch.
This volume felt a little off to me, and I had a hard time getting into it. I wanted to like it a lot more, and now I'm iffy on if I want to read more. I didn't really care too much for any of the characters, and overall it was just okay, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment