Pages

Monday, July 8, 2019

Manga Review: The Promised Neverland, Volume 9, by Kaiu Shirai and Posuka Demizu


Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Publisher: Shonen Jump (VIZ Media)
Release Date: April 2019
Volumes: 14+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 8. 10.

Goodreads Synopsis:

The children of the Grace Field House orphanage must escape a macabre fate before it’s too late.

Life at Grace Field House is good for Emma and her fellow orphans. While the daily studying and exams they have to take are tough, their loving caretaker provides them with delicious food and plenty of playtime. But perhaps not everything is as it seems…

The search for the mysterious Minerva has led Emma to a secret room within Goldy Pond. Heeding Minerva’s clues, Emma and the other children have successfully escaped Grace Field House and survived the dangerous terrain of the outside world. But when Emma opens the door to the truth, will Minerva’s secrets be everything she’s been hoping for?

Review:

I'm really glad that I decided to continue with this series. It was not hugely on my radar when it was first announced, but I truly love the story and characters, and I so badly want to know what happens next every time. Plus, I just recently discovered the fandom for this series, and I am so glad. (#NorEmma, yes.)
Emma and Lucas get to venture behind the locked door, and discover what was left for them next. Mr. Minerva left a trail of clues for them, and he traced his steps very carefully. We discover a whole conspiracy behind the farms/orphanages, and what Mr. Minerva was dealing with as he attempted to leave them clues and safe passage.
As they process and figure out how to deal with this new knowledge, they still have to deal with the rich-monster playground they're currently in. These kids are really too smart for their own good. They're against tough enemies, but they know what they're doing, and they're really good at predicting what's going to happen next.
I'm really curious to see what Emma does, in particular, during this battle. We're still not sure what Ray and the man are doing at this point. And then there's this huge plot twist/reveal in the middle of this volume, and while I suspected, it was still a surprise and it hit me so hard, and I am just so happy about it I can't even. So I won't spoil it. But! So good!


A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, for an honest review. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment