Pages

Thursday, August 29, 2019

Manga Review: Snow White with the Red Hair, Volume 1, by Sorata Akiduki


Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Publisher: Shojo Beat (VIZ Media)
Release Date: May 2019
Volumes: 21+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 2.

Goodreads Synopsis:

A romantic retelling of a classic fairy tale about a beautiful herbalist and a lovestruck prince.

Shirayuki is an herbalist famous for her naturally bright-red hair, and the prince of Tanbarun wants her all to himself! Unwilling to become the prince’s possession, she seeks shelter in the woods of the neighboring kingdom, where she gains an unlikely ally—the prince of that kingdom! He rescues her from her plight, and thus begins the love story between a lovestruck prince and an unusual herbalist.

Review:

I really, really want to like this series. I've heard a lot of hype for it, and I know people love the anime, but for some reason it hasn't really stood out for me.
Shirayuki has very unusual, bright red hair. So the prince of her kingdom demands her as his concubine. Receiving this offer, she immediately runs away, only to stumble upon a cute boy, who is of course, also a prince. But, not knowing this, she befriends him and he helps her out.
I understand the whole theme with Shirayuki, of letting her be her own person, not making her decisions for her, giving her her freedom. It's pushed a little heavy, though, and hit a little artificial for me. Maybe it was just too heavy.
Zen is cute, and I don't mind their friendship. Their flirtation is actually a bit more obvious than I expected this early, but I don't mind that at all. I appreciate that Shirayuki has a career path in mind, and makes progress toward accomplishing it in this volume. And I don't mind the side characters so far.
This just felt very meh for me. It was an okay read, but I'm not particularly attached. It all felt very surface. I want to be, though, so I hope it gets better.


A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, for an honest review. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment