Pages

Saturday, August 10, 2019

Novel Review: P.S. I Still Love You (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #2) by Jenny Han


Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Genre: YA Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Release Date: 2015
Spoilers?: Light.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Lara Jean didn’t expect to really fall for Peter.

They were just pretending. Until they weren’t. And now Lara Jean has to learn what it's like to be in a real relationship and not just a make-believe one.

But when another boy from her past returns to her life, Lara Jean’s feelings for him suddenly return too.

Can a girl be in love with two boys at once?

In this charming and heartfelt sequel to the New York Times bestseller To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, Lara Jean is about to find out that falling in love is the easy part.

The Cover:

I still think these covers are super cute. They're classy and pretty, very understated and calm in its colors, but eye-catching and pretty. I love that the covers all go together, with the same room and model, and that it very much looks like Lara Jean.

Review:

I really wanted to love this series, but now I'm just frustrated and disappointed.
I still really like Lara Jean's character, and her voice. Her family is really fun, too. I like Kitty's feistiness, and her dad is such a sweetheart. And then we meet John Ambrose McClaren in this book, and I love him. He's a sweetheart, who's grown up since she knew him as a kid. He's more mature now, he knows how to stand up for himself. He's so sweet.
And then there's Peter. There's still Peter.
I had hoped that Peter's plot line would be over, but it looks like Lara Jean has chosen him for the long haul, and I am disappointed. I disagree. It felt like Lara Jean and Peter have the kind of bad-for-each-other, intense relationship, a little bit. But now it looks like they're trying to say that Peter and Gen had that. And when it reveals what Gen has been hiding all this time, it's supposed to excuse Peter's attitude regarding her. And I just don't agree with that.
Maybe what Gen's dad is doing is bad, and it's upsetting Gen, but that's no excuse for Peter to brush off Lara Jean for so long, and to hang out with his ex-girlfriend so often without telling her, when Gen clearly has intentions of getting him back. None of this is okay, no matter what Gen is going through.
That whole ending with Peter kind of ruined this book for me. I don't like him, and I don't think he's right for Lara Jean, even if they have good chemistry and good banter. That's not enough. Especially not when there are better contenders, like John Ambrose McClaren. I'm just saying.
Despite all of that, I'm trying to remind myself that I still enjoyed this book. I like Lara Jean, otherwise, and I like her family, and I enjoyed meeting Stormy and seeing Lara Jean grow.
I'm just extremely disappointed in the romance, and now I don't know if I want to read the final book soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment