Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2019

Manga Review: Kiss Him, Not Me!, Volume 11, by Junko


Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: Kodansha Comics
Release Date: June 2017
Volumes: 14.
Spoilers?: Some.
Volume: 1. 10. 12.

Goodreads Synopsis:

It's Kae, coming to you from a crazy situation! After running into my childhood friend, Mitsuboshi, at a voice actor event, I was excited to introduce him to everyone. But something wasn't right about Mitsuboshi, and now he's tricked me and separated me from the group!

He has an extreme plan to keep me from Shima and the guys forever, and it's going to take everyone's efforts together to stop him. I've grown so much with the help of my friends, but Mitsuboshi just wants to keep the old me. Can we stop him before it's too late, and will someone have to put themselves in danger?

Special bonus story! If you thought what happened with Mitsuboshi was wild, wait until you see what happens when we fall prey to a body-switching mystery! With the boys' bodies, I can finally take all the BL-inspired photos I want! Oh, and I guess we should solve the mystery too...

Review:

This is one of the first long-standing plots that we've seen, which makes me wonder if the series will continue to be more serious as it reaches its end.
The previous volume ended with Kae being kidnapped, and this volume continues with Mitsuboshi's crazy plans to take Kae away, keep her as her old self, and force her to marry him. This plot line goes a bit crazy, honestly. I appreciate that Kae doesn't just let it happen, and even attempts to run away. She also protests and refuses him, and even tries to explain to him why he's wrong.
He's just a crazy obsessed person at this point, though.
This volume ends in, honestly, an even worse cliffhanger than the previous one. Similarly to the previous one, though, I still don't think anything serious is going to happen, I'm sure it'll all turn out okay. But it still has me worried for the moment, and eager to start the next one.
I think that the reason the crazy plot line of this series works, is because of the way the humor is done, and how it doesn't take itself seriously, at all. It feels a bit like a childish cartoon; everything is exaggerated and over-the-top and crazy, and the villain's motives and character are a bit weak, and sometimes the issues it handles are a bit sketchy, and yet it's still entertaining to read. It's not meant to be serious, and I think that's part of why it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment