Pages

Friday, April 26, 2019

Manga Review: Takane & Hana, Volume 7, by Yuki Shiwasu


Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Publisher: Shojo Beat (VIZ Media)
Release Date: February 2019
Volumes: 14+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 6. 8.

Goodreads Synopsis:

A strong-willed high school girl and a hot young scion of a business empire can’t help trying to outwit each other every chance they get… But could these opposites be conning themselves out of the perfect match?!

After her older sister refuses to go to an arranged marriage meeting with Takane Saibara, the heir to a vast business fortune, high schooler Hana Nonomura agrees to be her stand-in to save face for the family. But when these two utter opposites pair up, get ready for some sparks to fly!

Stripped of his wealth and now penniless, Takane has to learn how to cope with being poor. He refuses any help from Hana, but she isn’t about to let him brush her off! Takane is as difficult as ever, but Hana can’t seem to leave him alone. Is she finally ready to admit she has feelings for him?

Review:

As Takane continues to get used to being “poor” and finding value in himself as a normal person, Hana is starting to come to terms with her real feelings for Takane. Hana's acceptance of her feelings is exciting to me, but I also understand why she wouldn't want things to change. It's more than the risk of losing their current relationship, because they kind of have an agreement for what they have now. But mostly, I just want her to kiss him already.
Ideally, this could be a more mature relationship, and yet it's actually very high school. They're immature together, and I seriously love their dynamic. The teasing and one-upping each other, and the genuine feelings and caring they showed in this volume. It's forming a really sweet, fun relationship for them.
In the last part of the volume, we got to see Mizuki's point of view regarding Nicola. It's complicated, because she's always tried not to be girly, and she's trying to understand that he's a flirt by nature. But she also likes him, and it's clear that Nicola feels something for her. It was a nice insight to see, and I honestly do really like Nicola. He might be my favorite after the main pair. He's so much fun.
This series is quickly becoming one of my favorites. It's really fun to read, and I love the main relationship dynamic. I'm curious where the plot is going, as I want it to form quickly, but also I love the slowness of it now. I'm curious about Takane's work/family issues; honestly, I really liked seeing him humbled and bumped down, but it looks like he's trying to change that very quickly already. I'm conflicted about that, cause I don't think he's learned enough yet. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment