Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Manga Review: Princess Jellyfish, Volume 3, by Akiko Higashimura


Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Publisher: Kodansha Comics
Release Date: 2016
Volumes: 17 Volumes/9 Omnibus.
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 2. 4.

Goodreads Synopsis:

CHIC COUNTER-ATTACK

Inari, the aggressive vixen of redevelopment, ramps up her efforts to buy out Amamizu-kan, where Tsukimi and her friends live. But Kuranosuke has a fabulous plan of attack--turn Tsukimi's jellyfish designs into a reality! Will becoming real fashion designers be more than Amars can handle? Meanwhile, Shu's interest in Tsukimi drives Kuranosuke to confront some feelings he's never dealt with before...

Review:

It's been a while since I read the last volume, and I'm not quite sure why I waited, but now I definitely want to catch up.
Halfway through this volume is where the anime ended, so most of this was new content to me, and it was very exciting. I'm so glad we finally get to see more of the story, how things are really going to turn out.
Now that the possibility of Amamizukan being torn down is more plausible, we're getting more of the story. Originally, I wondered why it was such a huge deal—why couldn't the owner just buy a new rental/house with the money she's given? She'd probably still make a profit.
But, now I see that the owner is Chieko's mother, who has been letting them live there despite their being NEETs, and I see that she's sick of supporting them. And, that, I completely understand. They shouldn't really get to live there if they can't afford it; they should just get jobs. I'm not sympathetic to that, honestly.
And still, I don't see why they can't just find somewhere else to live. This might be a great deal, but they can find something else.
Despite all that, it looks like they're working hard to make these jellyfish dresses a real thing, and I respect that. The dresses are really pretty, and they're a very good idea. The work they put into it is also admirable, and I like seeing Kuranosuke help and push them and make them grow for this.
I really love the crazy characters in this series. Mayaya is still one of my favorites, and I love seeing her be bribed to model. Jiji kind of bothers me. We met a new doll-obsessed girl, who is very odd, and a little disturbing as well. Then there's Tsukimi and Kuranosuke, and Shu, all who I really like. I'm really enjoying the development between those three, in particular.
This series is crazy and so much fun. I'm excited to read more.

1 comment:

  1. Hey wanted to comment even though it’s been awhile since your review. I finished the Princess Jellyfish manga after stumbling that all volumes have now been published, yay for that.

    So Chieko’s mom, she was probably being kind being nice to her neet daughter and her neet daughter’s friends/tenants who are also neets. But she really dumped the rental building with lures of goodies about that popular Korean actor she was obsessed about. Yes, these neets are 30 year old women and don’t really deserve sympathy but there’s a small pang of sympathy because they’re genuinely terrified of doing something different. They’re not just misfits of society, they’re outcasts of society and anything other than Amamizukan would be miserable lives for them. And to top it off, they’re paralyzed by how to fight the situation because they’re meek. It was a great thing for them to meet Kuranosuke and for his confidence to fight for them and help them grow braver.

    The neets got a neet’s paradise for a few years, giving them more happiness than they had in prior times, which is touched up a bit in the story so far, and it’s now going to be destroyed. They will never have it so good again in other places, that’s a definite.

    Geeks allowed to indulge their passions well it’s not a good thing. Jiji, the doll geek, the train geek, Mayaya, all of them only indulging in only their hobbies has made practically incapable of interacting with people. It seems extreme geek indulgence has made them withdrawn from society to the point they can’t interact with people. Yes, it’s the Stylish they have a hard time with, but the “Stylish” includes a lot of ordinary good looking people too.

    ReplyDelete