Pages

Thursday, September 19, 2019

Manga Review: Juni Taisen: Zodiac War, Volume 2, by Akira Akatsuki, Nisioisin, and Hikaru Nakamura


Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Publisher: Shonen Jump (VIZ Media)
Release Date: December 2018
Volumes: 4.
Spoilers?: Some.
Volume: 1. 3.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Twelve fighters enter, one fighter leaves—who will win the 12th Zodiac War?

Every 12 years, 12 fighters take the form of the Chinese zodiac and engage in a battle royale. With their strength and mysterious powers, they fight to the death and the sole survivor is granted the ultimate prize—any wish.

With several of the fighters already dead, the Zodiac War is in full swing! The biggest danger the remaining fighters face is Usagi, the fighter of the Rabbit. He has the unique ability to control the dead bodies of those he’s slain, putting his opponents at a huge disadvantage! While Usagi and his undead army rampage in the streets above, Chicken and Rat lay low underground with Monkey, who is determined to settle the battle with as few deaths as possible.

Review:

I think, once I knew more what to expect of this series, I had a much better time of it. I was so caught off guard by all the violence, I hadn't realized I was going into a battle royale type of situation when I started the first volume. Now I do, though.
This volume kills off a few more characters. The chicken, which is too bad, and a few others, though some of them unsurprising. We get to see what the drunken tiger has in store, which is interesting. There are a few characters that are clear front runners, but I think they're going to throw in a surprise at some point. I'm curious to see which character is the biggest surprise, or who wins this whole thing.
This series is a mess. It's a bloody, violent, cruel mess. I wasn't into it when I started the first one, but now I really want to know who survives this thing. 


 A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, for an honest review. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment