Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Manga Review: Kigurumi Guardians, Volume 3, by Lily Hoshino


Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Publisher: Kodansha Comics
Release Date: December 2017
Volumes: 3 (Hiatus)
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 2.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Lily Hoshino, the beloved artist behind Mawaru Penguindrum, offers her cute and twisted take on the magical girl genre. You probably never thought Sailor Moon needed more hot older guys in full-body mascot costumes, but Kigurumi Guardians will bring you around!

Hakka's second year of middle school was dull as it could be, until a suspicious cow mascot ("kigurumi") shows up in her room, holding a sign that reads, "My Name Is Ginger." But this isn't (just?) a stalker, it's a magical being that's come to convince Hakka (and her friends) to become Guardians, and save the world! Hakka is understandably confused, until she's suddenly attacked, and a beautiful young man leaps in to save her. Can this handsome knight and the weird kigurumi be... one and the same?

Review:

The beginning of this volume concludes Nobara's plot. The girls on her choir team don't like her, and then when they're used against her, Nobara has to face some realities. After that, we get to know Satsuki better. He has a rather lonely home life, which is helped with Fennel being there.
Aside from that, there was a fun chapter where they all go out shopping together, and we get to see their more casual dynamics. All of this leading up to the cliffhanger, as we're starting to learn that Hakka might be more powerful than she realizes.
I really like the dynamics of the characters. Each couple fits together really well, and I like how the kigurumi are there for their person how they need to be. I really like Satsuki and Fennel, in particular. I enjoy the humor, and the main plot is intriguing, though a little odd. My only wish were that the three main characters were older, because they really act like they should be in high school, and when I'm reminded of the age difference it bugs me. But it also bugs me that it doesn't feel like there should be such a huge gap.
That cliffhanger is rude, and it looks like it's going to be a long while for the next volume, still. I'm not sure why, though, if the authors sick or something, or if it's being discontinued? I hope not, because I really enjoy this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment