Pages

Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Manga Review: Mermaid Boys, Volume 1, by Yomi Sarachi


Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Publisher: Yen Press
Release Date: April 2018
Volumes: 3+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 2.

Goodreads Synopsis:

The mermaid prince is super-popular with all the girls lining up to be his bride. But the one he falls in love with...has legs!

Review:

Naru is a mermaid prince, and he's obsessed with this pretty girl on land. He often come to the surface in order to watch her, and after saving her from drowning, he makes a deal with a witch to become human. Instead of giving away his voice like Ariel did, he gives away some of his good looks. So now he looks like a typical teen boy when he goes to meet the girl he believes he loves. Only, upon first meeting, she hates him.
This is definitely a shonen take on the Little Mermaid story. It sounded good, but some of the humor was very much a guys'.
I'm a little iffy on this series. I really like the idea behind it, and some of the characters were okay, but it didn't really grab me in this volume. I kind of want to read more, I kind of have my doubts about how much I'll like it. But maybe it'll get better?

No comments:

Post a Comment