Pages

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Manga Review: Ran and the Gray World, Volume 3, by Aki Irie


Rating (Out of 5): ~3-3.5
Publisher: VIZ Signature (VIZ Media)
Release Date: May 2019
Volumes: 7.
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 4.

Goodreads Synopsis:

A young sorceress transforms into an adult and sets out on magical adventures full of charm and wonder!

Ran Uruma can’t wait to grow up and become a sorceress like her mother, so with the help of a magical pair of sneakers, she transforms into an adult and sets off! Her father and older brother Jin try to keep her home safe, but Ran is determined to advance her powers and have adventures of her own!

Even as Otaro recovers from his injury, bugs continue to attack him in his dreams. Ran decides to use her powers to save him, but she might not be strong enough to eradicate the bugs… Meanwhile, Jin’s animal instincts take over and send him on the hunt for the right mate. Who will turn out to be his chosen one?

Review:

I didn't pick up the first two volumes of this series, and I was a little wary starting this one. The artwork looks gorgeous, but I've heard some questionable things about the contents, so I was worried.
Jumping into this volume, it took me a minute to figure out who the characters were and how it all worked. In the first chapter, we're thrown into a crazy nightmare in Otaro's head, which Ran invades to try to wake him up, and ends with her being rather naked.
Realizing just how young Ran really is, I was rather put off by this turn of events. From what I can tell, Otaro doesn't know how old Ran really is, but even at her fake age, she's still much younger than him, from what I can tell. Which means their real age difference is a bit horrific.
Aside from that potentially icky relationship, Jin the werewolf brother goes into heat, and thus discovers his attraction to Sango. The start to that chapter is also a bit off, but aside from that, I'm into their relationship. I've got a big weak spot for werewolf/beauty and the beast kind of stories, plus Sango is kind of like a housewife already. I'm sure some people don't like it, but I'm into it. I kind of just want more of their story over Ran's.
I was surprised by how childish and comedic this story was. Given just how magical and detailed and gorgeous the artwork is, I expected it to be more serious. I'm so far iffy on some points and into others, so I'm not sure how I feel overall. I'm curious to read more, though.


A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, for an honest review. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment