Pages

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Review: Past Perfect by Leila Sales

Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5 (Closer to 4 than 3)
Publisher: Simon & Schuster (Simon Pulse/Pulse It)
Spoilers?: No/Minor

Amazon Synopsis:

 All Chelsea wants to do this summer is hang out with her best friend, hone her talents as an ice cream connoisseur, and finally get over Ezra, the boy who broke her heart. But when Chelsea shows up for her summer job at Essex Historical Colonial Village (yes, really), it turns out Ezra’s working there too. Which makes moving on and forgetting Ezra a lot more complicated…even when Chelsea starts falling for someone new.

Maybe Chelsea should have known better than to think that a historical reenactment village could help her escape her past. But with Ezra all too present, and her new crush seeming all too off limits, all Chelsea knows is that she’s got a lot to figure out about love. Because those who don’t learn from the past are doomed to repeat it….

Review:

This was pretty good. Not as good as I'd hoped, but still pretty good.
Chelsea works at Essex Historical Colonial Village during the summer, since her parents work there, and her best friend, Fiona, along with her recent ex-boyfriend, start working there as well for the summer before their senior year.
First of all, I do like what Sales did with the whole past thing. Having Chelsea working at a historical themed place, where she has to pretend to be in that time, while also having a hard time moving on from her ex-boyfriend, Ezra. That was nice. And there are other little tidbits throughout the book, smart things, that made me think; also nice.
But Chelsea, I did not particularly like. She was fun for most of it, but she just would not move on. She was stuck on Ezra, was having a hard time accepting anyone else, and even went so far as to block out some of the bad things that happened with him because she wanted him back so much. I just could not believe that, it irritated me so much.
I did like Dan, the boy she meets who works at the Civil War Reenactmentland across the street. The whole thing with him was pretty messy, though, and could have been avoided had she talked to her best friend. She just made it all worse for herself. But I did like him, and I did like how things turned out. I didn't like how people found out, though, and then pushed her away and how she thought it was all for nothing. Yea, I'm glad that she realized everything isn't about a boy, but it didn't really seem believable. Maybe because of how she acted about Ezra?
Also, the Essex Colonial (that she and her friends work at) and the Reenactmentland across the street (that Dan works at) have a long going War. This was quite awesome. Every summer, when the junior workers come, the war continues. They play pranks and possibly kidnappings, but the adults can not find out about it. It became a little violent, and got dirty, but was pretty fun nonetheless. Chelsea, though, doesn't particularly care about the war, as does her Fiona and Dan, as opposed to everyone else working there.
Now, Chelsea's parents. Mainly, her dad. I kind of could not stand him. He's not a particularly bad parents or anything, but his personality, while completely believable, I did not like. But that is probably just because I don't like people that I actually know who act like that.
The War, the Essex and Reenactmentland, along with Chelsea and Fiona's ice cream connoisseur, were some of my favorite parts. And I liked Dan, and Chelsea with Dan. And I did like Chelsea, when she wasn't thinking about Ezra and wanting him back. It was really easy to read, too, and I didn't want to put it down (or, um, go to a different tab/sleep?), which was nice. And I actually liked the ending, as well.
So, yea, it was pretty good.
[Oh, also, I read this online on Pulse It's website, as they upload about two complete books every month.]

No comments:

Post a Comment