Pages

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Manga Review: A Devil and Her Love Song, Volume 6, by Miyoshi Tomori



Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Publisher: VIZ Media (Shojo Beat)
Volumes: 13
Spoilers?: Some/Yes.
Buy it here:  Amazon.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Is this girl a devil in disguise or a misunderstooReads R to L (Japanese Style).

Meet Maria Kawai—she’s gorgeous and whip-smart, a girl who seems to have it all. But when she unleashes her sharp tongue, it’s no wonder some consider her to be the very devil! Maria’s difficult ways even get her kicked out of an elite school, but this particular fall may actually turn out to be her saving grace...

Review:

Like with my last Dengeki Daisy review, it has been a while since I read this volume (although not nearly as long), and now I do have the next volume, but I still want to say something about this one.
(Somewhat sidenote/funny story: I actually thought I'd read this volume and reviewed it already, and was all set to read the next volume, so when I decided to check that I'd reviewed it and it didn't come up, I freaked out. It didn't help that I also couldn't find the book; it wasn't on my review pile or book shelf [where I put all the books I've already read]. I was starting to think I hadn't even read this volume, but I'd rated it on Goodreads, so I thought I must have. Yea, I found it under my bed. Sigh.)
I really like this series. I always look forward to the next volume, and they’re always so good. And they always leave me hanging.
The fight between Maria and Anna continues in this volume. I still don’t like Anna. I just… don’t trust her, and I don’t like what she’s doing. She gives me a bad feeling.
Plus, I’m fully on Maria’s side, so I’m not happy with anyone who tries to bring her down.
Mixed in with the Maria-Anna drama is some serious love drama. First, Yusuke confesses to Maria, only to back out at the last minute. Ugh, Yusuke…
Then Maria confesses to Shin. Which is just horrible, because Anna interferes, and I kind of really hate her. Then Anna tells Shin something about Maria’s past, which is maybe true, maybe partly true, and he’s not supposed to tell her. But it looks like he’s doing some behind the scenes searching, and then he might tell her the truth, which would be great.
I particularly like that part of the plot line, in that it’s rather different from most. Maria confessed rather early in the series, got rejected because someone interfered (but not quite in the way you’d expect), then when the reason comes to light, it seems like everyone isn’t going to just keep her in the dark the whole time. I hope not, at least.
Anyway, then Maria and Anna have a face-to-face fight, unlike the passive-aggressive, avoiding, silent fights they’ve mostly been having so far. Mostly, it’s Maria being purposely mean, and Anna getting upset and hitting her. (And Anna hits her with some kind of pole, too. I hate just hate her, okay?)
I understand why Maria would be upset about kind of ruining Anna’s life, but Anna could have done something about it. You know, actually wrote something useful with her pad of paper. Or hit someone and stood up for herself. It’s totally not Maria’s fault that Anna didn’t realize she was being bullied. I don’t blame Maria for stopping it.
I just don’t like Anna. That’s pretty much all this is coming to. I don’t like Anna and I want Maria and Shin to be together.
I’m excited for the next volume. That’s all.

No comments:

Post a Comment